Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Break

Morgan  and I made a semi last minute decision to take a trip during spring break.  We didn't have very much money to spend so we went to Oregon because it was close and would be a short trip.  We got a hotel on Priceline.com for real cheap and it was supposed to be a decent hotel.

Day one:

We pretty much just drove that day.  Not too much happened except for a blizzard in the Blue Mountain range that we got stuck in.  We made it through though.  We got to our hotel that evening and it was ghetto.  It was scary and a little dirty.  Granted, the entire city was scary and dirty (sorry to people who love Portland but seriously, lets be honesty) but our hotel was in the scary part of the scary town.

Day two:

We went to the Portland zoo.  Even though our hotel was only 15 minutes away, we decided (and when I say 'we' I mean Morgan) it would be more fun to take the tram.  The hotel drove us to the airport where we could load up on the train.  We then spent an hour and 15 minutes on the train, making every stop including one right by our hotel, all the way to the zoo.  It was fun for a little bit but after a half hour the kids started getting restless.  The zoo was great fun.  Wini is a huge monkey lover and could wait to go see the monkeys.




That was the first hour or so of our day.  We have tons of pictures from that first hour but then someone stole our stroller when we went to the bathroom and after that my arms were too full of purse, cameras, 4 coats and holding Wini and Wolfe's hands the whole time that I didn't get anymore pictures from the rest of the day.  After the zoo, we (I mean Morgan) thought we should cut our travel time down and get off the tram early.  That would mean we would have to take a short bus ride back to our hotel.  SSSSSCCCAAAARRRRRYYYYY.  I had never rode a public bus before.  I was so scared and grossed out that I had to squat over my bench so that my bum wouldn't touch the seat.  I also made sure not to make any eye contact but without looking timid.  I didn't want anyone to think I was an easy target.  I was so happy to get off the bus.  We (I mean I) decided after that, that we would just drive our car from now on and not take anymore public transportation.  We ate dinner at a German restaurant that Morgan just LOVED and then spent the rest of the evening back at our hotel.  All in all day two was a fun day.  But it was nothing compared to day three.

To be continued...

15 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Nice leaving us hanging there. At least we know you lived through it. I am surprised however to hear that you had never ridden a public bus before. Really???

Memzy said...

You are such a tease!! My fave part so far is your adventure on the public bus. I'm on pins and needles.

Cristin said...

WHAT?!?!? Why didn't you say something you could have stayed at our dirty house instead of hotel!...sigh... Oh well...your loss. haha I love the Portland zoo, Portland itself is ok.

Hot Pants said...

Dwight is ALWAYS wanting to take the train or bus. I have serious issues with public transportation. (I have similar issues with dirty hotels too.) I prefer the convenience of my own car. I am a waster of resources though. I'm not patient enough to wait for your post, so I'll just call you. You better answer.

Sara M. Carter said...

SPOOOOOOOOOKEYYY!!!!!!! lol. i probably would go "bananas" for the monkeys too. lol. a GERMAN RESTURANT!?!? i dont think i would like that! though my brother jackson would probably LOVE it! lololol! i love the ending "to be continued..." lol! i cant wait for day three! lolz!

Vegas Family said...

A Vaction to remember, right?

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you decided to go. Cheap or not, your kids will have memories and they won't remember the dirty or scary parts. This is the first time I have seen your "big brother". Doesn't smile much, I've heard he is a good kid and hope he is happy with you. Who couldn't be? :)

Unknown said...

What scary town did you stay at?...You know they filmed Goonies on the oregon coast?...

Katie said...

I can't believe you just left us hanging like that. Stollen strollers, dirty bus seats, and crazy homeless lady asking to hold your wini? (I added that last one, it really adds to the story, huh). I can't wait for episode two and the promise of a third is just too exciting. A reason to get up in the morning.

Emily said...

Wow, what an adventure! You are awesome parents to take your kids on such an exciting trip!

E said...

Brr. You should have come here and stayed in my fancy house for free. Sunshine. So far, your trip sounds like quite an adventure, tho. Can't wait to see what happens next. I'm gonna guess that you either when to the Roloff farm, or you ran into the Fratellis and found One-Eyed Willie's treasure.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I was gonna wait until you completed this series to comment but you've left me in a lurch for far too long.

Are you a germophobe like Amy? I so didn't peg you that way.

Hot Pants said...

I'm totally laid back compared to Sara....when it comes to germs.

Vegas Family said...

It there really more to this vacation??? Are you waiting til next Spring Break to continue it?

Jenny B. said...

that looks and soo much fun.

my spring break not so much

the doctors is not my idea of a spring break